Level Up Your Hokkien!
Go Beyond Basics
Have more engaging conversations
Learn and practise with fellow participants
Taught in English
Mandarin background is not required
This series of Intermediate Hokkien Classes include:
A 90-minute Live Online Seminar – Highlights basic frameworks and vocabulary that should be at your fingertips
- 29 September 2020, Tuesday, 8.30pm to 10pm
2 Physical Workshops – Further entrench your learning with your tutor in person and practise through interactive activities
- 3 & 10 October 2020, Saturdays, 9.30am to 1pm
- LTC Building B, S409958
Price: SGD208*, including course materials.
*SGD20 discount for participants who have attended our Hokkien Workshop for Beginners. Price stated above is before discount.
⚠️ Safe Distancing and Safe Management Measures
Your safety is our top concern, which is why we are operating at less than 50% of the training room’s capacity and enforcing strict safe distancing measures. We will also have safe management measures in place, including cleaning and disinfecting our training room and high-touch surfaces, contact tracing, and temperature screening. There will also be checks on visible symptoms (coughing, sneezing, breathlessness, or running nose) before entering the classroom. We seek your kind understanding and cooperation that any participant who appears unwell will be asked to leave the workshop. All participants are also required to wear masks at all times during the workshops.
What Makes Our Intermediate Hokkien Classes Different?
Let’s Go Deeper into Conversation Creations.
If you are thinking of joining our Intermediate Hokkien Classes, you should already know a bunch of commonly-used Singapore Hokkien words spanning these topics: Greetings, Numbers, Time, Dates, Hobbies, Daily Activities, Common Body Parts & Medical Terms and Food. (P.S. If you have attended our Hokkien Workshop for Beginners, you are good to go!)
During your Intermediate Hokkien Classes, we want to help you converse fluently and naturally in Singapore Hokkien. Besides improving your vocabulary, you will learn how to better structure questions and sentences, so that you can further express yourselves in terms of what you see, feel, or experience in your daily life.
Efficient-Learning through Creative & Fun Practices!
Traditional language classes spend many sessions building vocabulary or teaching sentence structures by repeating each word or sentence after the tutor for x times. For us, we believe that if learning is not fun, you will lose the motivation to learn. Hence, it would not be effective even if you sit through multiple lessons. In fact, this has been proven many times by influential researchers, e.g. Dulay & Burt, 1997; Krashen, 1982.
This is why during your Intermediate Hokkien Classes, you will be engaged in many games right at the start of the workshop. We don’t want to give your surprises away, but let’s just say, with so many activities, you can be assured that time flies by in a flash. In addition, you will walk away with an improved standard of Singapore Hokkien.
Intermediate Hokkien Classes Requirements
We need your help to create a conducive learning environment. To attend this series of Intermediate Hokkien Classes, you must:
- Be able to listen to and speak basic Singapore Hokkien. This means that you are already familiar with commonly-used words, including greetings, numbers, time, dates, common body parts, and food. P.S. If you attended our Hokkien Workshop for Beginners, you are good to go!
- Have a positive learning attitude, especially in learning more complex sentence structures and vocabulary (see topics covered below).
- Enjoy learning through activities! You’ll have plenty of chances to practice forming sentences with your existing and new vocabulary. The more you try, the better you get!
We want to know you on a more personal basis too. This helps us to make learning more practical and applicable to you. Thus, in the application form, do share with us why you want to learn Hokkien as well as the topics (listed below) that you are most interested in!
Intermediate Hokkien Classes – Course Outline
- Sentence and Question Structures
- Common conjunctions and quantifiers
- Shapes and Colours
- Advanced Hokkien Slangs and Idioms for Everyday Use
Simple refreshments – water, coffee, tea – will be provided. Hurray!
A certificate of attendance will be awarded when you complete all sessions. Hurray! Hurray!
Applicants will be contacted via phone and email. The application will close once the class is full.
Intermediate Hokkien Classes – How to Sign Up?
- First, fill in and submit the application form below.
- Next, we will call you – within 48 hours – to inform you of the availability as well as to address any concerns that you may have.
- Thereafter, to confirm your seat in the workshop, please make full payment via Local Bank Transfer, PayNow, or PayLah. The payment instructions will be provided in a subsequent email. Please also note that we do not accept SkillsFuture credits.
- Finally, sit back, relax, and look forward to your Intermediate Hokkien Classes!