Listen to Podcast | Teochew: Common Words and Useful Phrases
Podcast Transcript | Teochew: Common Words and Useful Phrases
Hello everybody! This is Eugene from LearnDialect.sg. We are coming towards the end of March, and personally, I feel that the first quarter of 2019 has just flown by! If you had followed our podcast diligently, you would have learnt around 100 Teochew common words and useful phrases by now! How’s that for committing less than 5 minutes a week to listen to our podcast?
For today’s Teochew – How Do You Say Podcast, we are going to do a recap, so that it’s easier for you to revise what you have learnt so far. Here’s how I am going to do it. I’m going to say a phrase in English, followed by the Teochew translation. Well, I’ll suggest for you to make use of this chance to test yourself by pausing the audio after you hear each English phrase. Ask yourself, how do you say it in Teochew? Remember, you can always refer back to our previous podcasts if you need to understand the context or learn more about the words or phrases. I’ve picked 20 phrases that I think you are most likely to use over and over again in a Teochew conversation. Are you ready? Let’s go!
- Have you eaten? 食饱未?
- How are you? 你好无?
- Hello, my name is Eugene. What is your name? 你好，我的名是 Eugene. 你叫什么名?
- My Teochew is not good. Can you teach me? 我个潮州话无好, 你会得教我无?
- Please, may I ask how do you say “eat” in Teochew? 请问你， Eat用潮州话做物呾 ?
- Many thanks. 㩼谢.
- You are welcome. 免客气.
- Long time no see, how have you been recently? 真久无看着, 你即(这)几时在生?
- Nice to meet you, stay in touch! 真欢喜看着你, 别日再联络!
- I’ll make a move first, goodbye. 我先走了, 再见.
- What is your job? How many years have you been working? 你做什乜(么)工? 做几年了?
- Happy New Year, may all things go smoothly! 新年快乐, 万事如意!
- Happy Birthday. 生日快乐.
- Wish you good luck. 希望你兴兴.
- I love you. 我舒合你.
- What is your phone number? 你个电话号码是底个?
- Do you have Facebook? 你有Facebook无?
- What are you talking about? I’ve never heard of this before, can you tell me more? 你侬在呾底个? 我无听过, 你会得呾我听无?
- I am going to sleep. 我爱去夗了.
- Please wait a moment, I’ll ask him to pick up the phone call. 请等一下, 我叫伊来听电话.
There you go. Here’s my list of common words and useful phrases based on what we have learnt in the Teochew – How Do You Say Podcasts thus far. Are you ready to move on to the next level? I’ll see you next week then!
Our Philosophy for Learning Teochew in Singapore
While we include formal romanization for Teochew words, we are advocates of easy learning. Hence we encourage you to form your own phonics so that you make an association with these Teochew words quickly. To illustrate, the formal romanization of “Teochew” is “diê ziu“. However, in our “Can You Teach Me” podcast transcript, you’ll find that we use “teo chew”, which we think relates to us better. That said, you may use other romanization (e.g “dio chew”, “dio jiu“, etc), as long as it helps you to make sense of what you hear.